Have you ever had a smoothie bowl before? If you haven't, I highly recommend trying it out. It is like eating a big bowl of dessert for breakfast. What could be better?
The best part about smoothie bowls in my opinion are the toppings. Mixed berries, chopped up fruit, my home-made quinoa granola, coconut shreds, nuts, nut butters... the options are endless.
I really enjoy having a chilled smoothie bowl in the summers. The toppings fill me up and the smoothie helps keep me cool. These bowls also make great snacks or desserts. Switch up the toppings and add a little shaved chocolate, maybe? Yum!
I love adding acai berries to my smoothie bowl. The acai berry has grown in popularity over the last few years and rightfully so. It is full of anti-oxidants and acts as a great fuel for your brain, heart and overall health. If you haven't already tried it, I highly recommend trying it out. It has a naturally deep tart flavor that goes really well when mixed with other sweeter fruits.
This post is not necessarily a recipe but rather is a technique. Make your favorite smoothie recipe (but use lesser liquid than you usually do, since you want to eat this by the spoonful) and top it with your favorite toppings. Seasonal fruits work best since you will get the most nutrition out of your produce.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do. Please leave a comment below to let me know what you think and subscribe to my blog if you would like to see more easy and delicious recipes.
- 2 100g packets acai puree (I buy unsweetened acai puree at Trader Joe's)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- ½ cup frozen mango
- ½ cup orange juice (see notes)
- Using either a high-speed blender or a food processor, blend all the ingredients in the smoothie section into a smooth thick puree. Feel free to use more or less liquid to adjust consistency.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy immediately.