This is an easy, 5 ingredient recipe to make delicious & creamy chocolate pudding from scratch in under 10 minutes! I like adding a little coffee liqueur for a subtle boozy coffee flavor and to make it extra special for the holidays!
This recipe is 100% vegetarian and can be made vegan easily! I’ve also included instructions below to make it without the alcohol. Watch a short video on how to make this delicious boozy coffee & chocolate pudding here.
Flavors in this boozy coffee & chocolate pudding!
My chocolate pudding is incredibly easy to make and only needs a handful of ingredients to put together in under 10 minutes! The main flavor in this chocolate pudding is… you guessed it 😅 Chocolate! I like using good quality chocolate chips in this recipe because it adds a rich chocolatey flavor. You can also use any other high quality chocolate that you have on hand in this recipe, but you might need to adjust the sugar based on how sweet your chocolate is.
I also tested this recipe with cocoa powder instead of the chocolate chips, but didn’t love the outcome. I highly recommend making it with good quality chocolate for the best flavor.
The other main flavoring in my chocolate pudding is coffee liqueur. I love the depth of flavor that the coffee liqueur adds here. The hint of coffee makes the chocolate taste even more chocolatey. If you don’t consumer alcohol, I’ve included instructions below to make it without the coffee liqueur as well.
Other flavor combinations to try with this chocolate pudding
I love the flavor of coffee and chocolate in this recipe, but chocolate tastes great with almost anything! In this recipe, coffee liqueur can be replaced with any other liqueur. Some other nice alternatives in this recipe would be Irish cream, orange liqueur or raspberry liqueur.
If you don’t consume alcohol, you can either use instant coffee (instructions below), or replace it with fresh fruit flavorings like orange zest or mashed up raspberries! The flavor possibilities are truly endless!
Eggless & vegetarian
This recipe is 100% eggless and vegetarian and I’ve used corn starch instead of the traditional eggs & egg yolks to make this chocolate pudding. Using corn starch results in a luscious and smooth pudding that is not too heavy or greasy and tastes velvety in the mouth. The corn starch also helps the pudding thicken and set well in the refrigerator.
Easily make this pudding vegan
This chocolate pudding recipe can be easily made vegan with a few changes. To do so,
- Replace the milk with any plant based milk of your choice. Coconut milk would be my preferred option for the creamiest and richest tasting pudding
- Use vegan chocolate chips/chopped chocolate.
Containers to serve these chocolate puddings in!
I like to serve these puddings in little glass jars. You can also serve them in small containers like glasses, bowls or ramekins or even beautiful tea cups or decorative bowls of your choice.
Serving & storage instructions
These chocolate puddings can be made and stored in the refrigerator up to a week in advance. Keep them covered in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve them and whisk the puddings well right before serving for the silkiest texture.
I topped my chocolate puddings with whipped cream, a dusting of cocoa powder and pomegranates (for a pop of color and flavor). The puddings itself are not very sweet and the whipped cream adds the right amount of sweetness to make every bite a perfect mouthful ❤
More desserts you might want to try!
Watch a short video on how to make this delicious boozy coffee & chocolate pudding here.
Boozy coffee & chocolate pudding
Using chocolate chips/chopped chocolate
- 2 tablespoons corn starch (also known as corn flour)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup whole milk (can be replaced with any plant based milk of your choice)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or any other chopped chocolate of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 oz coffee liqueur (see notes)
- Combine the cornstarch, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Add in the water first and whisk well so that lumps don’t form and the mixture is well dissolved. Then add in the milk and whisk to combine.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat and whisk the mixture often. After about 3-4 minutes or so, the mixture should begin to thicken, enough that it will coat the back of a spoon and if you draw a line with your finger, it will stay separate. The mixture should be at a very slow simmer at this point. Cook it for another 2 minutes, or until it starts to get quite thick and gloopy.
- At this point add in the chocolate and continue stirring with a spatula until chocolate is fully incorporated and mixture is quite thick (about 30 seconds). Make sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan with a spatula so the mixture is homogeneous.
- As soon as the chocolate is well incorporated, remove from heat and stir in the optional vanilla extract and coffee liqueur.
- Divide the pudding into ramekins/glasses and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours before serving. If you would like to prevent a film from forming over the surface, cover the surface of each ramekin with plastic wrap (the wrap should be pressed onto the surface of the pudding).
- Optionally, whip the heavy cream with powdered sugar and serve the puddings garnished with a dollop of whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder. Top with your favorite fruit, if desired.
- In this recipe, coffee liqueur can be replaced with your favorite liqueur. Some other nice alternatives in this recipe would be Irish cream, orange liqueur or raspberry liqueur.
- If you don’t consume alcohol, you can replace the liqueur with 1/2 teaspoon of instant coffee powder dissolved in 2 tablespoons water or 1 shot of strong espresso (or even just leave it out!). Also increase the amount of sugar to 2 tablespoons instead of 1.
- You could also flavor this pudding with orange zest, crushed raspberries/strawberries or your favorite fruit instead of the coffee! The flavor possibilities are endless ❤
Please leave a comment below to let me know what you think and subscribe to my social media if you would like to see more easy and delicious recipes.
A Little Note & Thanks
If you purchase something using the links on this site, Lime Thyme receives a very small commission. Don't worry, you won't pay a penny more. I only recommend products I believe in and personally use, so I hope you enjoy them too. Thanks for stopping by!