This Double Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Ice cream is a chocolate lover's dream and tastes absolutely divine. ❤ The juicy and sweet cherries make every bite of this chocolate ice cream so memorable. You will love this flavor combination!
The ice cream base
The base for this cheesecake ice cream is so light and airy, almost like a mousse! I use full fat cream cheese in this recipe and whisk it for a few minutes to give it a light and airy texture. The air whisked into the cheese and cream helps prevent ice crystals from forming when you freeze this ice cream. I have also used mascarpone cream in the past and it makes for a very delicious and light ice cream.
If you can’t find either, you can try making this cake with Greek yogurt as a replacement. Make sure your yogurt is completely drained of all its moisture before you begin and only whisk it until it turns smooth, about 20 seconds.
Why is this the best double chocolate cherry cheesecake ice cream?
What makes this cheesecake ice cream absolutely perfect is the combination of cherries with chocolate. Cherries and chocolate are a perfect match and this recipe is inspired by the very famous and delicious black forest cake that I absolutely love!
I used fresh Bing cherries that are in season right now. They were perfectly sweet and juicy and worked so well in this recipe. You can use any fresh cherries that is easily available to you.
I also used both cocoa powder and chocolate chips in this recipe for that double hit of chocolate. The chocolate chips add a nice texture and crunch to this ice cream which compliments the juicy cherries so well.
Tools for making this double chocolate cherry cheesecake ice cream
I used my stand mixer to make this ice cream but you absolutely don’t need it for this recipe You could also use a handheld mixer or just a silicone spatula and whisk and make the ice cream base by hand! Make sure that your cream is chilled well before you start whisking as that will help it whisk quicker.
More recipes to try out:
You might also be interested in checking out Strawberry oreo, Alphonso mango and Honey roasted fig & almond cheesecake ice cream flavors that I came up with. They all turned out super yummy and creamy and I’m sure you will love them.
If you’re looking for other dessert recipes then check out my ultimate mango cheesecake, raspberry lemon ricotta cake, limoncello & apple cake and my ultimate one-bowl banana bread recipes. These recipes are all super simple to make and don’t require any fancy equipment.
If you like healthy desserts, you might also want to check out my 3 ingredient healthy ice creams and my refined sugar-free chocolate chip cookies. These recipe are vegan friendly and don’t use any refined sugar!
Please leave a comment below to let me know what you think and subscribe to my social media if you would like to see more easy and delicious recipes.
Double chocolate cherry cheesecake ice cream
- Wash, pit and quarter the cherries. Transfer them to a bowl and add in the sugar. Mix the cherries well with the sugar and set them aside for about 20 minutes.
- Make sure your heavy whipping cream is very cold before you begin. Whisk the cream using a stand/hand mixer until it starts getting thick and fluffy. We don't want it to get to stiff peaks, so turn off the mixer when it is thick and airy. Save the whipped cream for later.
- Using electric beaters, mix together the cream cheese, vanilla extract & condensed milk until they are well combined.
- Add in the whipped cream to this mixture and fold it in slowly until everything is well combined.
- Add in the cocoa powder and mix everything together until well combined.
- By now the cherries should be soft and syrupy. Add in the cherries along with the chocolate chips/chunks and mix them well with the ice cream mix.
- Transfer this mixture into a freezer safe container and cover with a tight fitting lid. Freeze for a minimum of 4-6 hours before scooping and serving.
- If you can’t find fresh cherries, you could also swirl in some cherry jam/preserves/pie filling into the ice cream base and still achieve a similar flavor and texture.
- After the ice cream has frozen for several hours, place the ice cream container out at room temperature for 5-10 minutes for easy scooping.