This strawberry watermelon margarita recipe adds a unique twist on the classic margarita and is the perfect cocktail for summer! Sweet and juicy watermelon and strawberries make this margarita super refreshing while the spicy and savory kick from the black pepper + black salt rim lends to that perfect salty sweet combination.
Flavors in the strawberry watermelon margarita
This strawberry watermelon margarita is super delicious and refreshing! It’s a little sour from the fresh lime juice, sweet from the agave syrup and so refreshing because of the fresh watermelon and strawberries. If you’re looking for a different take on the classic margarita, you've got to try this one. It’s one of those cocktails that feels so fancy and exotic, but is so simple to whip together!
Kala namak (black salt) is Indian volcanic rock salt. It starts out as Himalayan Pink Salt or sodium chloride and is then heated to extremely high temperatures and mixed with Indian spices and herbs including the seeds of the harad fruit which contains sulfur. It also contains trace impurities of sulfates, sulfides, iron and magnesium which all contribute to the salt’s color, smell and taste. When dry, this salt has a mild eggy, sulfurous aroma. When added to water (or in drinks, on fruit), that aroma becomes stronger.
How to make strawberry watermelon margarita
This yummy strawberry watermelon margarita is incredibly easy to make. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Rims of your glasses – This step is optional but it adds so much to these margaritas! Run a lime wedge around the outside of your margarita glass rims, then dip them in a mix freshly crushed black pepper + kala namak and shake off any excess.
- Blend the ingredients in a blender – add all the ingredients (except ice and sparkling water) into a blender and blend until you have a smooth puree.
- Pour + serve – pour the puree into your rimmed glasses, then top with ice and sparking water and enjoy your refreshing margaritas!
While it is common to use silver or blanco tequila in margarita, I really enjoy the smokey and deep flavor in Anejo or Reposado varieties. However, feel free to use your favorite kind in this recipe!
If you don't drink alcohol, you can totally leave it out and make a tamarind cooler instead of a tamarind margarita. It will still taste very delicious.
Frequently asked questions
What ingredients make a classic margarita?
A classic margarita usually has tequila, lime juice, orange juice (or orange liqueur), an optional sweetener and ice.
Do I need orange liqueur to make this margarita?
Nope! Classic margarita recipes call for orange liqueur (like triple sec or Cointreau) or orange juice instead. I haven't included either in this recipe to let the flavor of fresh strawberries and watermelon shine.
Can I make this without alcohol?
Yes, absolutely! I have made this recipe without the alcohol as mocktail and it still tastes fantastic and super refreshing!
What if I don't have kala namak?
No problem! Just replace it with regular salt instead! I've also included instructions in the notes section of the recipe to use chili lime seasoning (tajin) instead of black pepper and kala namak.
Can I omit either the strawberries or watermelon?
Absolutely! Just replace the fruit you are omitting with the same amount of the other fruit and it will still taste absolutely delicious!
More cocktails to try!
Strawberry Watermelon Margarita
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper (see notes for a chili lime version instead)
- ½ teaspoon kala namak/Indian black salt (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (plus an extra wedge of lime for the rim)
- 1 cup watermelon cubes
- ½ cup strawberries
- ¼ cup tequila
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- ½ cup ice
- 1 cup sparkling water
- Run a wedge of lime around the rim of each glass.Freshly crack black pepper onto a plate. Now sprinkle the kala namak over the black pepper and mix it well to combine. Add half of this spice mix into a blender jar.Invert each glass onto the plate (with the other half of the pepper + kala namak mix) so the rim gets coated well.(See notes below to use chili lime seasoning instead of black pepper + kala namak)
- Now into the blender add in the watermelon, strawberries, agave, lime juice and tequila and blend for about 20 seconds or until you have a smooth puree.
- Divide this puree into the rimmed glasses and top with ice. Now pour sparkling water in each glass and garnish with fruits & mint before serving.
- If you don't drink alcohol, just leave out the tequila to make a refreshing strawberry watermelon mocktail instead! I tried this recipe both with and without the alcohol and both versions tasted amazing.
- If you don't have kala namak, replace it with regular salt instead.
- To make a chili lime flavored cocktail instead of black pepper + kala namak
- Reduce the fresh lime juice to 2 tablespoons.
- Replace black pepper + kala namak with equal amounts of chili lime seasoning. First use it to rim the glasses and then add the remaining seasoning into the blender with the fruit.
I hope you like this recipe as. much as I do. Please leave a comment below to let me know what you think and subscribe to my social media if you would like to see more easy and delicious recipes.