This is the absolute best recipe of homemade hot chocolate.. It's a little spicy from the chili, beautifully fragrant from the lime and so rich and decadent from the chocolate. The booze adds a little kick in the background and makes it even better! You will love this recipe ❤
Watch a short video on how to make this delicious boozy coffe & chocolate pudding here.
Flavors in this hot chocolate!
This is not your ordinary hot chocolate! Get ready to cozy up and enjoy this spicy hot chocolate..
This hot chocolate recipe is so thick and rich from the semi sweet chocolate. I love using both unsweetened cocoa powder and good quality chocolate chips in this recipe, they make it extra thick and decadent for the holidays! The flavors in this hot chocolate are just so sublime. The lime makes it fragrant and adds a beautiful aroma every time you take a sip, while the chili adds a subtle warming heat in the background, making it perfect for chilly and cozy days!
The other main flavoring ingredient in my chocolate pudding is the booze! I used coffee liqueur and loved the depth of flavor that it added. The hint of coffee makes the chocolate taste even more chocolatey. If you don’t consume alcohol, I’ve included instructions below to make it without the coffee liqueur as well.
How to make vegan hot chocolate
I've used whole milk in this recipe, but you can make it vegan with a few changes:
- Replace the milk with any plant based milk of your choice. Oat milk would be my preferred option for the creamiest and richest hot chocolate.
- Use vegan chocolate chips/chopped chocolate.
- Either skip the whipped cream or use coconut cream instead.
Best alcohols to use in this hot chocolate recipe
I like using coffee liqueur in this hot chocolate recipe. Some other lovely options would be Irish cream, whiskey, bourbon, orange liqueur or raspberry liqueur. You might need to add a little extra sugar if the alcohol itself isn't sweet.
How to make this hot cocoa without the alcohol
If you don’t consume alcohol, you can either leave out the liqueur or replace it with ½ teaspoon of instant coffee powder dissolved in 2 tablespoons water OR 1 shot of strong espresso. Also increase the amount of sugar to 2 tablespoons.
More recipes to try!
Watch a short video on how to make this delicious spiked chili lime hot chocolate here.
Spiked chili lime hot chocolate
- 2 cups whole milk (can be replaced with any other milk of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lime (zest only)
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips or any other chopped chocolate of your choice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 oz coffee liqueur (optional, see notes)
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Combine milk, cocoa powder, lime zest, chili powder and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until warm (but not boiling).
- At this point add in the chocolate and continue whisking until all the chocolate has melted and fully incorporated. Make sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the pan with a spatula so the mixture is homogeneous.
- As soon as the chocolate is well incorporated, remove from heat and stir in the optional vanilla extract and coffee liqueur.
- Divide the hot chocolate into 2 mugs. Optionally, whip the heavy cream with powdered sugar and serve the hot chocolate garnished with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of chilli powder/lime zest.
- I like using coffee liqueur in this hot chocolate recipe. Some other lovely options would be Irish cream, whiskey, bourbon, orange liqueur or raspberry liqueur. You might need to add a little extra sugar if the alcohol itself isn't sweet.
- If you don’t consume alcohol, you can either leave out the liqueur or replace it with ½ teaspoon of instant coffee powder dissolved in 2 tablespoons water OR 1 shot of strong espresso. Also increase the amount of sugar to 2 tablespoons.
- Don't like chili and/or lime? No problem! Just leave them out. I've made this recipe many times without them and it still tastes delicious 🤩
Please leave a comment below to let me know what you think and subscribe to my social media if you would like to see more easy and delicious recipes.