Rate the recipe by clicking on the stars in the recipe card below
Yellow curry noodle soup
This yellow curry noodle soup is super simple to make, doesn't require any curry paste and comes together in 30 minutes! I use my home-made curry powder blend instead of traditional yellow curry paste to cut down on time taken while still making it very flavorful.
To make the curry soup
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil (or any oil of your choice)
- 1.5 tablespoon curry powder (I use my home-made version. Here's the recipe)
- 2 cups vegetable/mushroom/chicken stock (I use my home-made chicken bone broth.)
- 1 inch ginger root
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- 1 inch lemon grass
- 1 slice galangal
- 1 can coconut milk (I use the full-fat version, can size is 400 ml)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (or soy sauce/coconut aminos for vegan alternative)
- kosher salt
For the filling and toppings
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil (or any oil of your choice)
- 1.5 cups shitake mushrooms or any mushrooms of your choice, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ red bell pepper sliced thick
- ramen noodles of your choice (around 1.5 oz/40 gms per serving)
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken breast shredded into chunky pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2 stalks green onions finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- kosher salt
- 1 lime cut into wedges
To make the toppings
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a frying pan and add in the shitake mushrooms when it is hot. Cook the mushrooms on high heat until they are lightly browned. Now add in the chopped garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Season this mixture with salt and pepper and reserve it for later.
(Optional step) In the same pan, heat another teaspoon of avocado oil and add in the red bell peppers when its hot. Cook the peppers for about 2 minutes before seasoning with salt and pepper and reserving for later.
In a saucepan, heat water until it comes up to a rolling boil. Drop in the eggs and cook them for exactly 6 minutes (for soft boiled eggs). Transfer the eggs into an ice bath to cool down before peeling and reserving for later. If you like your eggs fully cooked, cook them for 8 minutes instead.
To make the curry soup & noodles
Heat a teaspoon of oil in a stock pot. When it is hot, add in the curry powder and toast it for about a minute or until it is fragrant. Be careful to not let the spices burn.
After the spices are toasted, add in the stock, garlic, ginger, galangal, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaf and let this mixture come up to a boil. Cover the lid and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
While the soup is simmering, cook the noodles of your choice as per the package instructions. Reserve the noodles for later.
After the soup has simmered for 15 minutes, add in a can of coconut milk, brown sugar, fish sauce and salt and simmer for about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning if needed.
Finally pick out all the whole spices from the soup and squeeze in the juice of half a lime before turning off the heat.
Portion out the noodles into bowls and pour the hot soup over the noodles. Stir the noodles in the soup to loosen them (if they have dried out while waiting for the soup to the done).
Top with your favorite toppings. I have topped this soup with shredded rotisserie chicken breast, sauteed mushrooms and red bell peppers, soft boiled egg, finely chopped green onions and cilantro.
This soup can easily be modified to be made vegan. To make it vegan, use
- Vegetable/mushroom stock instead of chicken broth.
- Use soy sauce/coconut aminos instead of fish sauce.
- Leave out the chicken and egg from the toppings.
Subscribe to get notified about my latest recipe videos!